Over 40 million Americans are affected by some form of vein disease. Vein disease, or vascular disease, is any condition that affects your circulatory system, including peripheral artery disease.
To avoid developing vein disease, it is important to make lifestyle changes that can improve your vascular health. When you care for your circulation, you are caring for your vascular health. So we’ve compiled a list of 5 ways you can improve circulation and better your vascular health.
Exercising regularly is good for your circulatory system, as it strengthens your heart and lungs, allowing your heart to pump blood more efficiently. Aerobic exercises like running, cycling, and walking can especially help to improve circulation. Strength training is another great form of exercise to improve vascular health, as building muscle mass can increase blood circulation efficiency.
Exercising not only improves blood flow, but it contributes to keeping a healthy weight. Maintaining a healthy weight promotes good circulation, whereas being overweight can lead to poor circulation. Losing weight can be beneficial for vascular health in those who are overweight.
2. Keep a Healthy Diet
Eating a nutritional, balanced diet is good for many reasons like weight loss, and energy, but it can also improve blood flow. Some foods that can boost your circulatory system are:
- Oily Fish - Omega 3 fatty acids located in some oily fish like salmon, tuna, and mackerel can improve circulation and promote cardiovascular health.
- Garlic - Garlic can lower blood pressure and help arteries dilate. Maximize your benefits by eating it raw!
- Citrus Fruits - Fruits that are high in vitamin C, like oranges, are considered blood thinners and can prevent poor circulation.
When you eat nutrient-packed foods, you give your body the fuel it needs to circulate properly.
3. Manage Stress
It should come as no surprise that stress has negative effects on your overall health. Experiencing high-stress levels can release cortisol into the blood, which can require the heart to work harder to pump blood. Even though stress is inevitable, there are many ways to manage it when it does happen, such as:
- Meditation / Mindfulness - When being mindful of your surroundings and meditating properly, your heart can reach a relaxed state, making it easier to pump blood through your system.
- Talking With Others - When you talk with other people about what you are experiencing, it can relieve your stress. Laughing in that conversation is a bonus, as laughing reduces stress, promotes muscle relaxation, and stimulates circulation.
- Relaxing Exercise - Instead of going for an intense workout, some exercises like yoga or tai chi can promote slow movement and deeper breathing, which allows your heart to relax as well, and do its job efficiently.
High-stress levels can not only decrease circulatory system effectiveness, but they can also increase your risk for cardiovascular disease. It is important to find ways to manage stress to stay healthy.
4. Manage Blood Pressure and Diabetes
High blood pressure can lead to arterial damage, which can put you at risk for peripheral artery disease, heart failure, and more. The recommended blood pressure to stay below is 140/90.
People with diabetes are at higher risk for peripheral artery disease due to the damage diabetes does to the blood vessels. If you have diabetes, it is best to keep your blood sugars controlled. Taking your medications and making healthy lifestyle choices like exercise and a healthy diet can help you keep your diabetes under control.
5. Seek Treatment
Finally, if you have vein disease, don’t hesitate to seek . There are many ways to treat vein disease with minimally invasive procedures and therapies. For example, is a minimally invasive injection, while uses a laser beam to treat vein disease. If you or a loved one are in need of treatment, provides multiple treatments for vein disease.
Star Veins Center for Veins & Aesthetics provides the latest (opens in a new tab) treatment in Bay Shore, New York. It is our ongoing mission to help every one of our patients receive the treatment they need to feel great about their legs and live without pain and discomfort. online today, or call us at 516-606-7811!