As the weather becomes warmer, many people are excited to ditch their layers and start wearing shorts again. But, if you have varicose veins or spider veins, it can be hard to feel confident enough to wear the outfit you want, despite the temperature. While vein surgery is an option, not everyone wants to undergo an invasive procedure or run the risk of negative after-effects. Luckily, sclerotherapy offers a different option that is minimally invasive and nearly painless.
What are Varicose Veins and Spider Veins?
Varicose veins are enlarged, bulging, cord-like veins that occur when blood in the veins leaks in the wrong direction, causing the blood to pool. The veins often appear in the legs and feet, and they can be painful. Symptoms of varicose veins can include:
- Veins that are twisted, swollen, and lumpy.
- Veins that are dark purple or blue.
- Pain and aching in legs.
- Swelling, itching, or burning.
- Legs that feel tired and heavy.
- Skin discoloration.
Spider veins, on the other hand, are small, damaged veins that appear just underneath the skin’s surface. They are usually not painful, but they can be unsightly as they are named for their spider-web appearance and can be red, blue, or purple. Spider veins can cause sensations such as:
- Leg cramps
While spider veins and varicose veins are both the result of damaged valves, they have different appearances and symptoms. If you are experiencing these symptoms, be sure to visit your specialist for treatment.
What Is Sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is a non-surgical procedure used to treat varicose and spider veins. It involves injecting a solution, called a sclerosant, into a damaged vein to close it. Once the sclerosant is injected into the blood vessel, the walls of the vein eventually close down. Once the vein is closed, the blood is re-routed to healthier veins in the body, improving circulation. The unhealthy veins are then re-absorbed by the body, leaving only the healthy veins.
This procedure is done very quickly and can usually be completed in just one session. This simple treatment effectively treats both varicose and spider veins, diminishing their appearance and relieving pain.
What Are The Benefits of Sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy allows you to get rid of unsightly veins without the hassle of and risk that comes with surgery. There are many benefits to be had from receiving sclerotherapy, such as
- Effective removal of unsightly spider veins - Spider veins can cause purple or blue web-like veins that are often not appealing to look at. This can make someone feel embarrassed about their appearance, affecting their confidence and daily life. Sclerotherapy effectively reduces spider veins so you can look and feel your best.
- Pain relief from varicose veins - Not only does sclerotherapy reduce the appearance of veins for a cosmetically pleasing result, but it can also aid in reducing the achiness you feel from varicose veins.
- Quick and painless procedure - The procedure can be completed in as little as 10 to 30 minutes and is performed in-office. It is usually painless, though some patients may experience a minor cramping sensation when the sclerosant is injected.
- No downtime - There is no lengthy recovery time like there would be after a surgical procedure. After sclerotherapy, you are free to return home and resume your daily activities shortly after your treatment.
As spring comes around, don’t let the appearance of your spider veins stop you from wearing your new sundress, and don’t let the pain from varicose veins keep you on the sidelines. With sclerotherapy, you can get exceptional results without having to undergo surgery. If you are interested in receiving sclerotherapy or another vein treatment, Star Veins & Aesthetics has got you covered.
Star Veins & Aesthetics provides the latest aesthetic & vein treatment in Bay Shore, New York. It is our ongoing mission to help every one of our patients receive the treatment they need to feel great about their skin and body. Request an appointment online today, or call us at 516-606-7811!